Transfers Explained

The most affordable and efficient firearm transfer services in Northern Virginia.


Search Aardwolf Solutions for the firearm or NFA item you want – if you don’t see it on our site, call or email us your request and we will check with over a dozen distributors and get you a quote. We will let you know as soon as the item arrives to set up a free transfer appointment. We are available, by appointment only, 0800-1100 on weekends and 1600 – 1800 on weekdays.

If you are using our transfer services for an item bought from a third party seller, simply tell the seller you want to use Aardwolf Solutions as your FFL. We will let you know as soon as the item arrives to set up a paid transfer appointment. Fees are outlined below.

PHONE: 703-539-2488


Please review our house rules and abide by them during your visit.

What is an FFL Transfer?

Simply put, a Federal Firearm Licensee (FFL) is required to document the shipping, official sale, and transfer of a firearm from one location and/or owner to the next. FFLs conduct the required instant criminal background check required for firearm transfers. Many gun shops charge anywhere from $40-$50 per firearm for these basic services. Aardwolf Solutions has the cheapest fees in Northern Virginia. You will need our FFL services for the following scenarios:

  • You want to buy a firearm from us: Our site lists thousands of items – we can order your item and handle the transfer free of charge!
  • You bought an item from someone else: You need to have the firearm shipped to a local FFL – send the item to us and we will handle the transfer for the lowest fee in Northern Virginia!
  • You are selling a firearm and want to be extra safe: Many states allow private sales without the aid of an FFL. You may want to use one anyway to conduct a criminal background check on the buyer. Simply arrange an appointment with the buyer at our office for the same low transfer fee!

Aardwolf Solutions charges the lower prices in Northern Virginia for firearm transfers and provides the most responsive service. Our fast, responsive communication and processing prevents common delays.


Virginia State Residency Requirements for Handguns: Aardwolf Solutions cannot transfer handguns, receivers, or frames to non-Virginia residents; we can only transfer complete long guns. This rule stems from Federal laws that restrict people to only having hand guns transferred to them within their home state of residency. The only exception is for people on active duty military orders, explained below. Additionally – Virginia residents may only have one handgun per month transferred to them unless they have a valid Virginia Concealed Carry permit. If you do not have a VA concealed carry permit, please do not have a handgun sent to us if you purchased another handgun within the past 30 days.

Identification: Virginia State Police require all in-state customers to present a valid Virginia state driver’s license or other VA DMV-issued ID card showing their current residential address. If you are a new resident to Virginia and have just received your Virginia ID, the ID must be at least 30 days old based on the issue date printed on the license. If you are a long-standing resident and recently renewed your driver’s license, the 30-day requirement does not apply. We cannot accept temporary permits, car registrations, utility bills, or leases as proof of residence except for members of the military on active duty orders in Virginia.

Military Residency Exception: Active duty military personnel stationed in the Pentagon, at Quantico, or at any other station in the state of Virginia are treated as Virginia residents. They must present a combination of their military ID (Common Access Card only), a copy of their PCS orders or Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) showing their duty station, and a utility bill showing their residence at a Virginia home address. We cannot transfer to service personnel who live in Virginia and are stationed out of state, or service personnel who are stationed in Virginia but live out of state. The individual must both live in Virginia and work on a base in Virginia. The PCS orders must show a Virginia address – we cannot accept orders showing a headquarters address in DC or temporary orders.

Age Restrictions: Federal law restricts the sale of all firearms and ammunition to persons 18 years of age and older. Handguns and handgun ammunition are restricted to persons 21 years of age and older. People who are aged 18-20 are limited to purchasing rifles, shotguns, and ammunition for rifles and shotguns.

Virginia State Police Background Check: All firearm transfers require a National Instant Criminal Background Check (NICS). We perform this check through the Virginia State Police. In order to pass the background check, you must meet all of these requirements.

Federal Requirements: The ATF requires all transferees to present valid identification at the time of all firearms transfers. In general, a state or government-issued photograph ID meets this requirement. For Virginia residents, we will only accept a current Virginia state-issued driver’s license showing a current residence address. We have to abide by both Federal and state laws.


Prices reflect the total in a single visit. Fees include a $2 cost for Virginia State National Instant Criminal Background Check (NICS). One NICS search is required per customer per visit.

NOTE: We already charge a small fee for our services – the discounts below are only meant for multiple items arriving at the same time. Safe storage is limited – please do not expect us to hold one order and wait for additional separate items to arrive before scheduling your appointment. We appreciate your consideration and common courtesy.

Transfer fee for 1 item (handguns and long guns): $27

Transfer each additional item in same visit: $15

Multiple handgun fee (more than 1 handgun within 120 hours, requires additional form): $10

**Add $3 if you are having a long gun transferred as an out-of-state resident.

We offer the convenience of paying in-person via credit, debit, or cash – add $1 for credit/debit to cover processing costs.

Services are by appointment only.

Step by Step Instructions


Be prepared to fill out ATF Form 4473 and VA State Police Form SP-65. We use an online format for the SP65 and will provide a laptop for you to enter your data for the NICS search and we will provide a paper form 4473. You must fill out these forms in person at your appointment; they will be provided to you.

STEP 1: Purchase a firearm of your choice from our website or a third party retailer. Pay for the firearm and obtain a receipt via email.

STEP 2: If purchasing from a third party retailer, forward your order confirmation to and let us know to expect the transfer, ensuring the seller’s contact info is clearly indicated on the receipt or in the email. Also, please make sure your contact information is listed on the order, or include it in the email body. Aardwolf Solutions will email your seller a copy of our license and arrange to receive your purchase. If you have any questions about the process, call Aardwolf solutions at 703-539-2488.

STEP 3: Aardwolf Solutions reach out to set up a transfer as soon as the item arrives – we schedule the vast majority of transfers the same day the item arrives.

Please note – you must schedule an appointment before paying us a visit.

Transfers typically take no longer than 15 minutes. Appointments are available 7 days a week.

STEP 4: Come to your appointment at:

1127 N Chambliss St, Alexandria, VA, 22312

**Use the office entrance with white door – not the main entrance.

Please review our rules and abide by them during your visit.

STEP 5: During your appointment, you will fill out the following forms:

One Virginia SP-65 form (entered on our customer laptop) for your instant criminal background check and one ATF Form 4473 for the firearms transferred.

Unfortunately, these forms must be filled out on-site; you cannot fill them out beforehand to save time. Upon successful completion of the background check, Aardwolf Solutions will hand your order to you.

How Do I Get a Conceal Handgun Permit?

Online Class

The State of Virginia requires training for all first-time applicants for a concealed handgun permit (CHP). Aardwolf Solutions recommends visiting Online CHP for the most straightforward process for getting the necessary online training and certificate for completing your application for a concealed carry permit in the State of Virginia. They offer a quick video, free test, and downloadable certificate. The whole process takes less than 30 minutes and is very simple.


Once you are done with your test and have your certificate printed, simply download and fill out a Form SP-248 and mail it to the address listed in the instructions. The State of Virginia will send a temporary permit within 45 days, which will be valid until the final permit arrives.

NFA Transfers

One of the most daunting reasons that people in the United States forego the joys that come with owning an NFA item is simply the misinformation and confusion that comes with it. Aardwolf Solutions, in its never-ending quest to bring the firearms industry to the 21st century and make purchasing firearms a simple, safe, and efficient process, is outlining the process of purchasing an NFA regulated item. We will guide you step by step from beginning to end.

First let’s identify what firearms are regulated under the NFA?

(1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;

(2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;

(3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;

(4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;

(5) any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e);

(6) a machinegun;

(7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and

(8) a destructive device.

[26 U.S.C. 5845; 27 CFR 479.11]


Now that we know your item is in fact an NFA regulated item you must:

Step 1: Decide whether you want to file as an individual or a trust

Step 2: Purchase NFA item

Step 3: Purchase tax stamp ($200 or $5 for AOW)

Step 3: Fill out form 4
Watch this for a step by step guide on filling the form out.

Step 4: Relax and wait